Friday, October 5th, 2012
Treating the Common Cold in Adults
Am fam Physician. 2012 Jul 15;86(2):online.
What do I do if I have a cold?
Most colds don't cause serious illness and will get better over time. Cold symptoms in adults can be treated with some over-the-counter medicines. Talk to your doctor about what is best for you.
What over-the-counter treatments are helpful in adults?
- Choosing an over-the-counter medicine that contains an antihistamine and a decongestant may help you cough less and breath better through your nose. Cough medicines such as dextromethorphan (one brand: Robitussin) and guaifenesin (one brand: Mucinex) may help some people.
- If you have a headache or body aches, pain medicines such as ibuprofen (one brand: Advil) can help. The pain medicine naproxen (one brand; Aleve) also may be used for cough.
- Herbal products, such as Echinacea purpurea, Pelargonium sidoides (geranium) extract (one brand: Umcka Coldcare), and Andrographis paniculata (one brand: Kalmcold), may reduce cold symptoms.
- Zinc taken in the first 24 hours of cold symptoms may reduce how many days you have a cold, and you may also get fewer symptoms. You can take one lozenge every two hours while awake for as long as you have cold symptoms. But, they may give you a bad taste in your mouth or upset your stomach. Zinc nose sprays should not be used.
What treatments are not helpful in adults?
- Antihistamines without decongestants
- Echinacea angustifolia
- Saline nasal spray
- Vitamin C
Thursday, August 23rd, 2012
Welcome to our blog! Within this regularly updated feature of our website, we will provide visitors with practice news and specials, as well as information regarding the most recent technological advances and new treatments in Medical & Emergency Healthcare.
We believe that patient education and open communication with your doctor are the keys to achieving healthy, fully functional results and patient satisfaction, which is why we strive to provide the highest quality of medical care for patients of all ages. This is done by combining technical skill and broad experience with cutting-edge technology for impeccable medical results.
We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to visit our new blog. Please check back often to learn about the latest news, updates and additions to the practice and within the field of Medical Healthcare, and feel free to post comments and/or suggestions on any posts that you find of interest.